WEISER STATE FOREST
The Weiser State Forest consists of eight tracts of State Forest Land located in northern Dauphin, Schuylkill, Carbon and Berks Counties. The total area of State Forest Land is 17,961 acres.
Within the Weiser State Forest are some very rugged and secluded wooded areas. These areas can be reached by the 65 miles of roads which have been constructed for wildfire suppression and administrative use.
The Weiser State Forest is located in areas where pure mountain water originates. Several of these streams provide the sole source of drinking water for the Communities of Port Clinton, Lykens and Williamstown.
All State Forest Lands are open to the public for hunting, fishing and general recreation.
There are two small State Forest Picnic Areas located on the Haldeman State Forest Tract in Dauphin County. These picnic areas offer a secluded place to "get away from it all."
The major hiking trail located in the Weiser District is the 2,000 mile Appalachian Trail which travels the entire length of the District. One end of the trail is at Mt. Katahdin, a 5,267 ft. granite monolith in the wilds of northern Maine. The other is at Springer Mountain, Georgia, the southern terminus of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
The Weiser Forest District was named in honor of Conrad Weiser, a great leader of the Colonial Period. His entire life had its setting during the early years of our country, when a large part of our State was still a vast wilderness and interior America was as yet unexplored. Weiser spent his years as a frontiersman and pioneer among the husky men who were clearing farms in the forest, building roads and struggling for for existence against hostile Indians, hunger, the elements and the discomforts of pioneer life. Weiser emerged during these times as a community leader and a nation builder.
For fifteen years Conrad Weiser had been closely associated with the Mohawk Indians and learned Indian language, habits and customs. In 1729, Conrad Weiser moved from Schochary (west of Albany) New York to Tulpehocken (near Womelsdorf) Pennsylvania. A town had already been established on the banks of the Tulpehocken Creek six years before his arrival.
In 1731, Weiser's public life began. He was persuaded by Shekilammy, the Chief of the Six Nations Federation, to accompany the Indian leader to Philadelphia. Here Weiser was to be the Provincial Indian Interpreter and Agent at a meeting of the provincial council. Weiser devoted his remaining years to interpreting the words and thoughts of the Indians to white men. After Braddock's defeat, Weiser persisted more than any other man of his time to hold the chain of friendship between white and Indian from falling apart.
1. Weiser State Forest Primitive Camping: This is a free, first-come-first-serve camping option within the forest itself. It's perfect for those who enjoy roughing it and being close to nature.
2. Rausch Creek Off-Road Park Campground: Located near the state forest, this campground offers primitive tent sites as well as RV spots with electric hookups.
3. Echo Valley Campground: A family-friendly campsite located nearby in Tremont, PA that provides amenities like restrooms/showers and playgrounds along with options for both tents and RVs.
4. Twin Grove KOA Resort & Cottages: Just outside of Weiser State Forest lies this resort-style campground which includes cabins/cottages rentals alongside traditional campsites; they also offer numerous recreational activities on-site such as mini golf or swimming pools.
5. Twin Spruce Tourist Home And Lodge: Offers cabin rental services not far from Weiser State Forest where you can relax after exploring all day long.
6. Schuylkill County Fairgrounds: Provides basic facilities including water supply but no electricity connection available at each site.
7. Red Ridge Lake Campground: Situated just few miles away from the park offering fishing opportunities in their private lake besides regular camping facilities.
8. Hickory Run Family Camping Resort: Another great place to stay if you're looking forward visiting Wieser National Park,offers full hookup service plus additional amenities like pool access etc.