BLEDSOE STATE FOREST
Bledsoe State Forest is located on the Cumberland Plateau in east-central Tennessee, in Bledsoe, Cumberland, Van Buren, and White Counties. The land was originally purchased by the State Department of Institutions in 1907. In 1933, 6,656 acres were designated as state forest. The remaining lands, known as the Taft Youth Center, left under the jurisdiction of the Department of Institutions, now the Department of Corrections. Areas of the forest are used for tree improvement studies, where strains of various species are grown to determine their suitability as high quality timber. The timber type consists primarily of mixed upland hardwoods and most stands are in the 40 to 80+ age classes. The forest has been used traditionally for hunting and small amounts of fishing. Some hiking and horseback riding occur on the forest. Fall Creek State Park is approximately 3 miles southwest of the forest.