FAIRY STONE STATE PARK
Fairy Stone State Park is home of the mysterious "fairy stones." It is one of the six original Virginia state parks to open on June 15, 1936. The treasured stone so prevalent in the region, beautiful scenery, rich history and ample recreational opportunities make Fairy Stone one of the favorites of park visitors. Junius B. Fishburn, who had been president of the Southwest Virginia Trust Company, donated the 4,868-acre site, making it the largest of the six original parks and one of the largest to this day.
In the late 1920s various groups across the commonwealth began working towards the establishment of state parks in Virginia. It wasn't until 1933, however, with the establishment of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) that the state was able to begin building such a system. At that time, six areas were acquired, including Fairy Stone. Roanoke newspaper publisher Julius B. Fishburn donated the 4,868 acre site, making it the largest of the six original parks, and one of the largest to this day.
The CCC provided the labor and materials for the construction of the park from 1933 until the CCC camp was removed in the spring of 1941. Roads, trails, picnic areas, cabins, a restaurant, bathhouse, dam and sanitation system are all part of the original CCC construction. Their handiwork is still evident in the park's log cabins.
Campsites have a fire ring on the ground and can be used for campfires and cooking. Campsites allow one extra vehicle in addition to the camping unit and all vehicles must be kept on the paved area in the campsite. Additional parking is approximately ? mile from the campground area and parking fees are charged.
Lake swimming - Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day only. The swimming beach is complete with a bathhouse, concession area and beach toys. Times of operation may vary prior to Mid-June and after mid-August depending on the availability of lifeguards, as the park uses mostly students. Guests may wish to call Fairy Stone prior to making reservation if swimming is important. In the summer, swimming is free for overnight guests in campsites, cabins and the lodge, however it cannot be guaranteed should circumstances beyond the park's control require that swimming be closed. We do not give refunds for swimming to overnight guests under any circumstances.
A boat launch ramp is available for non-gasoline powered boats. Gasoline-powered boats are allowed on the Philpott Reservoir, which is within a 20-minute drive from the park. In addition, rowboats, paddleboats and canoes are available for rent during the summer season.
Boats may be rented on weekends, weather permitting, in April, May, September and October.
Fishing is allowed with a valid Virginia fishing license on the 168-acre lake. A fishing area is accessible to visitors with physical disabilities.
Approximately half the park's acreage is open to hunting. There's a 5,000-acre quality deer management area next to the park.