LOS ENCINOS STATE HISTORIC PARK
Los Encinos State Historic Park, at the corner of Balboa and Ventura Blvd. in Encino, California, was the hub of Rancho El Encino. Located in the San Fernando Valley, this California rancho includes the original nine-room de la Ossa Adobe, the two-story limestone Garnier building, a blacksmith shop, a natural spring, and a pond.
The natural spring provided a year-round source of water for the ancient village of Siutcanga, home to the Tongva people, for thousands of years. An excellent description of this village was recorded as part of the 1769 Portola Expedition. This Spanish expedition reached the San Fernando Valley and named it "El Valle de Santa Catalina de Bononia de Los Encinos" (The Valley of St. Catherine of Bononia of the Oaks).
Located along a significant travel route between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara, the property passed through many hands between the 1840s and the early 20th century. Today, the park contains exhibits related to the agricultural enterprises of Rancho El Encino?s various owners, including Mission Indian, Mexican Californio, French, and French Basque families.
Located in Encino, California, the park was originally a portion of Rancho Los Encinos. The land changed hands several times before being purchased by Eugene Garnier in 1872.
Garnier built an impressive nine-room adobe farmhouse on the property. In addition to farming and ranching activities, he also established a winery there.
The state acquired it as part of its historic parks system in 1949 after decades under private ownership. It now features five acres with three original buildings: two adobes from around 1850s and Garnier's French-style stone house from late-1800s.