Approximately 25 miles west of the Pony Express Conservation Area on the Missouri River is the original site of a settlement known as Blacksnake Hills, later to become the city of St. Joseph, where the Pony Express mail service began in 1860.
In addition to providing public fishing and wildlife-based recreational opportunities near the St. Joseph and Kansas City metropolitan areas, Pony Express Conservation Area demonstrates the balanced relationship that can exist between agricultural operations and wildlife populations.
Acquisition of land for Pony Express Conservation Area began in 1961. The Conservation Department has purchased additional tracts since then. The area includes 240-acre Pony Express Lake, which was opened to public fishing on January 1, 1966.
In cooperation with the Natural Resources Conservation Service, construction of 45-acre Buffalo Bill Lake in the north part of the area was completed in 1987. The lake opened to public fishing in 1990 and features a concrete boat ramp, parking lot and facilities for visitors with disabilities.
Pony Express Lake Conservation Area is located near Cameron