1. Shawnee Mission State Park offers a large, man-made beach for swimming.
2. The park's 120-acre lake is perfect for cooling off during hot summer days.
3. Swimming season typically runs from Memorial Day through Labor Day each year.
4. Lifeguards are on duty at the designated swim area to ensure safety of swimmers.
5. A daily or annual permit is required to access the state park and its facilities including swimming areas.
6. There are no indoor pools; all swimming options in this Kansas-based park involve outdoor water bodies only.
The park offers a variety of boating options for visitors. It features a 120-acre lake where you can enjoy fishing, sailing and paddle boarding. The marina rents out pedal boats, kayaks and canoes to those who don't have their own equipment or want to try something new. Motorized vessels are not allowed on the water in order to maintain peace and tranquility within the area.
You can enjoy fishing in a 120-acre lake, home to species like largemouth bass and channel catfish. Other fish include crappie, sunfish, wipers and saugeye. Fishing from the shoreline or boat is allowed but requires proper licensing. A marina offers boating equipment rentals for convenience.