UNITY LAKE STATE RECREATION SITE
The high desert surroundings of this park offer a unique experience to its guests. The fragrant smell of juniper lingers in the air and thrills the senses. The cool grass of the park is a vibrant contrast to the sagebrush and cheatgrass of the bordering lands. The Burnt River comes to rest behind the Unity Dam before continuing its path down the valley. Relax on the shores or enjoy water sports. There?s a boat ramp to accommodate the water skier as well as the angler. A peacefulness will engulf you at Unity Lake State Recreation Area whatever you choose to do.
Located in Baker County, Oregon, the recreational area known as Unity Lake was established and opened to public use in 1969. The site is situated near the small town of Unity and spans over a vast expanse of approximately 915 acres.
The creation of this recreation spot came about due to an initiative by Burnt River Irrigation District which led to the construction of a dam on Burnt River for irrigation purposes. This resulted in creating what we now know as Unity Reservoir or commonly referred to as "Unity Lake".
In its early years after establishment, it quickly became popular among locals and tourists alike because it offered various outdoor activities such as fishing (with species like rainbow trout), boating with two boat ramps available at different locations around the lake; camping facilities including RV hookups were also provided making overnight stays possible.
Over time additional amenities have been added that include picnic areas equipped with tables & grills along with restrooms providing convenience for day visitors too. A trail system has also been developed offering hiking opportunities while enjoying scenic views surrounding this man-made reservoir.
1. Unity Lake Campground: This campground is located within the park and offers 34 campsites for tents, trailers or RVs with electric hookups available at some sites. Amenities include picnic tables, fire rings, drinking water and restrooms.
2. Burnt River Ranch Camp: Located just a few miles from Unity Lake State Recreation Site, this campsite provides tent camping as well as cabins for rent.
3. Farewell Bend State Park: About an hour's drive away but worth considering if you're exploring the area more broadly; it has over 100 campsites including full hookup options plus yurts to stay in too!
4. Oregon Trail Wagon Train RV Park & Horse Motel: A unique option about half an hour away that caters specifically to those traveling with horses (though all are welcome). They offer both pull:through RV spots and primitive camping areas.
5. Hilgard Junction State Park: Another state park around one-hour driving distance which also offers basic facilities like toilets etc., along with fishing opportunities on Grande Ronde river nearby.