YAQUINA BAY STATE RECREATION SITE
Yaquina Bay State Park is located in Newport at the north end of Yaquina Bay near its outlet to the Pacific Ocean. The bluff is forested with spruce and pine, but the real star is the historic lighthouse. The lighthouse -- later used as a Coast Guard Lifeboat Station -- has been restored and is open to the public. Attractions nearby include the historic Newport bayfront, Hatfield Marine Science Center and the Oregon Coast Aquarium.
This parcel overlooks the mouth of Yaquina Bay and its entrance into the Pacific Ocean. The property was given to the state by the U. S. Lighthouse Service in 1934 and 1971. It is a spruce and pine forested bluff containing an historic lighthouse, later used as a lifeboat station. The lighthouse has been restored and is open to the public. The park originally was developed for day use in 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps. The old lighthouse at the harbor entrance was erected in 1871 but was discontinued in 1874 in favor of the Yaquina Head Lighthouse several miles to the north. The Yaquina River is named for the Indian tribe that traditionally occupied the drainage territory. The adjoining city of Newport is a busy fishing and commercial port, very popular with summer travelers. In 1988, a Yaquina Bay State Park cooperative association was created by agreement with the Oregon State Parks and Recreation Division. The group provides information for visitors and tours of the lighthouse.
Yaquina Bay State Recreation Site is located near Newport
1. Yaquina Bay Lighthouse Trail: This short, easy trail leads to the historic lighthouse and offers stunning views of the bay.
2. Salal Hill Loop: A moderate 0.8-mile loop that takes you through lush forests with occasional glimpses of the ocean.
3. Quarry Cove Interpretive Area Trails: These are a series of small trails leading around an old rock quarry turned into a marine garden by volunteers; it's wheelchair accessible too!
4. South Jetty Road Beach Access Pathway: An unpaved path providing access to sandy beaches along south jetty road from parking areas within recreation site.
5. Agate Beach State Recreation Site Paths: Located just north across Yaquina Head, these paths provide beach access for agate hunting or tidepool exploration at low tides.
6. Newport Historic Bayfront Boardwalk: Though not directly in park boundaries, this nearby walk provides scenic overlooks onto harbor seals lounging on docks below while passing seafood restaurants and shops selling local crafts.
7. Oregon Coast Aquarium Nature Trail: Another off:site but close-by option is this interpretative nature trail winding past outdoor exhibits like otter enclosures before reaching estuary boardwalk overlooking marshlands teeming with birdlife.
8. Nye Creek Falls Walk: Short urban hike following creek upstream under Highway 101 bridge towards hidden waterfall nestled among residential neighborhood trees.
The Yaquina Bay State Recreation Site is a park located in Newport, Oregon. To get there from downtown Newport, you need to follow SW Coast Hwy/US-101 South for about 1 mile until reaching the intersection with SE Ferry Slip Rd. From there, turn left onto SE Ferry Slip Rd and continue straight for approximately half a mile until arriving at the entrance of Yaquina Bay State Recreation Site on your right-hand side. There are signs along this route indicating the park's location.
If coming from outside of Newport via US-101 North, drive through town until seeing signs directing towards Hatfield Marine Science Center/Oregon Coast Aquarium/Yaquina Bay Lighthouse/South Beach Park & Ride (SE Harney St). Take that exit and merge onto OR-20 W/OR -229 S toward Toledo/Newport City Center/Hatfield Marine Science Center/Aquarium/Lighthouses/Marine Board Office.
Continue following these directions:
1. After merging onto OR:20 W/OR:229 S, keep driving westbound.
2. At the roundabout near Rogue Brewery/Walmart Supercenter/Home Depot/Bi-Mart Pharmacy/Costco Wholesale/Great Wall Restaurant/Taco Bell/KFC/Subway Sandwiches/Jack In The Box/Panda Express/Dutch Bros Coffee/Shari's Cafe And Pies/Fred Meyer Fuel Station/Rite Aid Pharmacy/The Home Depot Rental Service/Napa Auto Parts Store/U-Haul Neighborhood Dealer/Econo Lodge Inn & Suites by Choice Hotels International Inc./Newport Cinema Centre Movie Theater Complex/Starbucks Drive-Thru/Veterans Of Foreign Wars Post #3660 Hall Building/IHOP Pancake House Restaurant/Staples Office Supply Store/Cardinal Services LLC Construction Company/Main Street Market Grocery Shoppe:.
- Take the second exit off it heading southward into NW Abbey St.
3. Continue down NW Abbey St past Fred Meyer Shopping Plaza complex which includes stores like Fred Meyer Jewelers/Fred Meyer Pharmacy/Starbucks Coffee Drive:Thru/PetSmart Pet Store/Newport Liquor Outlet/Les Schwab Tire Center.
4. At the intersection with SW 9th St, turn right onto it and continue straight for about half a mile until reaching SE Bay Blvd.
5. Turn left onto SE Bay Blvd and drive eastward along Yaquina Bay waterfront area past attractions such as Port of Newport International Terminal/Dockside Charters Fishing Charter Company/Yaquina Boat Rentals & Sales Inc./Yaquina River Museum Of Art/Maritime Memorial Park/South Beach Fish Market/Cobblestone Pizza Co Restaurant/Oregon Coast Aquarium/Hatfield Marine Science Visitor Center/Nye Beach Turnaround State Recreation Site:.
- Continue driving on this road (SE Bay Blvd) which will eventually curve to the south becoming S Jetty Rd NW after passing under US-101 bridge overpass near Rogue Brewery Pub House/Taco Bell/KFC/Subway Sandwich Shop/Jack In The Box Fast Food Joint/Bi-Mart Discount Retailer/Home Depot Hardware Store/Walmart Supercenter Shopping Mall Complex.
6. Follow S Jetty Rd NW for approximately 1.3 miles until seeing signs indicating Yaquina Bay State Recreation Site entrance on your left:hand side.