SALAMONIE RIVER STATE FOREST
The name Salamonie was derived from the Native American word "O-sah-mo-nee," which means "yellowpaint." Native Americans made yellow paint from the bloodroot plant which grew in great abundancealong the winding banks of the river. Salamonie River State Forest was created as a demonstration riverside forest for the reclamation oferoded land. The state forest was established in the mid 1930's when local people assisted the state inpurchasing the hilly land and bluffs along the Salamonie River. Most of the land's topsoil was erodedaway, making reclamation of the area a major challenge. To deal with this challenge, a 200-memberCivilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp was created. The CCC designed and planned the forest andrecreation facilities and opened a stone quarry. Several hundred acres of land were reforested and manyrecreation facilities were built, including Hominy Ridge Lake and the large stone shelter house that standsnear the lake. Today the forest encompasses 850 acres and offers many recreational opportunities to itsvisitors.
Hiking Trail, miles9
Picnic Shelters, #1
Horsemen Campsites, #15
Salamonie River State Forest offers 2 primitive(class C) campgrounds: family campground with 32campsites, and a horseman's camp with 15 sites. Campsites are available on a first come, first servebasis. Please self-register for camping at the campground entrance. Pit toilets and drinking water areavailable near sites.