DABNEY STATE RECREATION AREA
The classic summer place, Dabney has been a popular cooling-off swimming and picnic spot for over 50 years. It's easy to see why when you visit. The lower, older part of the park at the west end features an asphalt trail leading down to a classic swimming hole. Large picnic tables and electric cooking stations are on hand and fill up quickly on hot days. The newer parts of the park feature a covered, reservable picnic shelter and trails winding through tall bamboo, horsetail, cottonwoods and alders.
Check out the new disc golf course, made possible through a partnership with the Oregon Disc Sports Association.
You'll find a boat ramp near the swimming area. It's open to boaters year-round.
No dogs, except seeing-eye dogs, are permitted on park grounds. Alcohol is not allowed in those sections downstream of the main portion of the park, below the Stark Street Bridge.
Located in the U.S. state of Oregon, this recreational area was originally owned by Richard and Gladys Dabney who purchased it as a homestead around 1910. The couple transformed their property into an oasis with gardens, pools and even a dance pavilion which they opened to public use.
In the early years, visitors would arrive via steamboat along the Sandy River for picnics or dances at what became known locally as "Dabney Park". Over time however, due to financial difficulties during Great Depression era (1930s), Mr.Dabney sold his land piece-by-piece until only about 12 acres remained.
The remaining portion of land continued serving locals under private ownership until its purchase by State Highway Department in 1946 using highway funds from Multnomah County's share. This acquisition aimed at preserving river frontage for future freeway development but instead ended up being used primarily for recreation purposes after Interstate-84 construction bypassed site completely.
Afterwards,the park underwent several improvements including addition of picnic tables & restrooms through efforts led by Sam Boardman - then Superintendent of Parks Division within Highway Department.In late '50s,it also received federal aid that allowed further enhancements like parking lot expansion,picnic shelter erection etc.,making it more accessible & enjoyable space.
Finally,in year1964,this place got officially designated as one among many parks managed under newly formed entity called "Oregon Parks and Recreation Department". Since then,it has been providing outdoor enthusiasts access to various activities such fishing,hiking,trail running,bird watching etc.alongside scenic views over Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area.Today,Dickson family legacy continues attracting thousands each year seeking respite amidst nature's beauty while contributing towards local economy indirectly too!